Anxious families await news on Mexico mass grave

Families of people killed on 9/11 see careful progress in Guantanamo tribunal

Protesters from a coalition of groups demonstrate the conviction of Wikileaker Bradley Manning late August 21, 2013 in front of the White House in Washington, DC. A US military judge sentenced Army Pfc. Bradley Manning to 35 years in prison August 21, 2013 for leaking hundreds of thousands of classified documents to the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks AFP PHOTO/Paul J. RichardsPAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP/Getty Images

Two of the kidnap victims are sons of men jailed for being gang members, but their parents insist they never followed their fathers’ footsteps. One of them is 16-year-old Jerzy Ortiz, son of Jorge Ortiz Reyes, alias “The Tank,” who was sentenced to 23 years in prison in 2003. “We are very tense, thinking about all sorts of things,” the 16-year-old’s aunt, Eugenia Ponce Ramos, told AFP. “It has been an agony 24 hours a day and now it is more intense.” The families have held protests to demand answers about the case and they barged into a press conference by Rios on Thursday when he was about to discuss the mass grave. Rios said he has told the families that “as long as we are not certain they are dead, there is hope they are alive. So we continue to work to find them alive.” Two bar owners have been arrested, while the charred remains of a third associate were found in the central state of Morelos last month after a gangland-style murder.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/08/23/anxious-families-await-news-on-mexico-mass-grave/

photo_1377272074402-1-HD.jpg

”I thought it was coming When that is pulled from under you it is like a miscarriage, the most horrific time.” More than 660 Ethiopian children have been adopted into Australia under the program, which has run for 20 years. But the federal Attorney-General’s advisory group said the Ethiopian adoption environment was increasingly unpredictable and there were obstacles to it operating ethically. The proliferation of private adoption agencies at the same time as orphanages closed under closer government scrutiny increased the risk of unethical practices due to competition. Families devastated by the program’s closure point to evidence appearing to contradict assertions by the Attorney-General’s department affecting their cases. They dispute a department claim of June 28 that no individual children had been referred for Australian adoption at the time the program closed. They have obtained documents from Ethiopia appearing to show the files of 27 families were “in country” and at least seven children had been matched with prospective parents. This put the government in “clear breach” of its adoption agreement with Ethiopia, which states that “termination of this agreement will not affect the completion of adoption procedures already in place”, according to Sydney barrister Michael Garner, who represents some of the families.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://www.smh.com.au/national/families-mourn-loss-of-adoption-program-20130824-2siet.html

Families mourn loss of adoption program

They are doing their job. Gerhardt said he is glad the lawyers for the men, both civilians and military, are waging an aggressive defense. They want to do it right and we want them to do it right, he said. Yes they are posturing, yes they are putting out motions to get as much as they can accepted and thats how the process works and its a good process so lets let it work. There was a sign during this weeks hearing that yet another delay could be looming for the proceedings. The judge, Army Col. James Pohl, warned prosecutors Friday that he might suspend further hearings if the government cannot resolve technological issues with the Pentagon computer network. Defense teams have complained that the network prevents them from doing any work involving their clients that must be kept secure. Pohl is expected to rule on that issue in September, when the court convenes for its sixth round of pretrial hearings. Prosecutors submitted a motion to set a tentative trial date of July 2014 but the judge did not take it up this week as had been expected.
For the original version including any supplementary images or video, visit http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/families-of-people-killed-on-911-see-careful-progress-in-guantanamo-tribunal/2013/08/24/42aecdea-0c8d-11e3-89fe-abb4a5067014_story.html

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s